Monday, March 22, 2010

Role of Instructor K-12

As I reflect on the posts regarding the role of instructors it seems like the role that I identified in my discussion post would be mainly focused on adult learners. Since such states such as Florida and Georgia have virtual schools for K-12, I believe that the instructor would play more of a instructional role in terms of interacting and teaching. In Florida Virtual schools student are “required to submit a specific amount of work each week”. This is specified by the teacher with student input. Also, all courses have a Pace Chart that helps the student keep track of their weekly assignments. Teachers can choose to modify the chart. So unlike adult distance education, the schedule of course can be modified in order to address the student’s needs. I would think that the instructor would probably set up pre-recorded instruction (lectures) for the students to review and include motivating activities for these younger students to complete. In the case of this type of online learning it would be the responsibility of the institution to design a curriculum based on age and ability. The institution would also ensure that the instructors teaching the courses are able to effectively deliver the materials and guide the student through the information. Eventually as the student becomes familiar with the structure and what is expected, the instructor will eventually(hopefully) be able to participate as strictly a guide in helping the student reaching higher levels of autonomy.

Works Cited:
http://www.flvs.net/Pages/default.aspx

2 comments:

  1. CeCe,

    Very interesting post! I did not realize that Virtual classrooms exist in K-12. I have a first grader and kindergartener, and I am curious to see how they will do in such environment :)

    Oksana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure that I would like my girls(3 and 6years old) in a virtual school. Where is the social interaction? It's like being homeschooled (although homeschoolers do have clubs and other activities that they participate in). My girls are already glued to the computer (PBS Kids and ICarly). I couldn't imagine them getting an education online. That would interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete